“Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves.” Romans 12 : 10 NIV
The Principle of Honor states that we need to accurately acknowledging who people are will position (us) to give them what they deserve and to receive the gift of who they are in our lives
Honor creates life-giving and life-promoting relationships.
41 He who gives honor to a prophet, in the name of a prophet, will be given a prophet’s reward; and he who gives honour to an upright man, in the name of an upright man, will be given an upright man’s reward. 42 And whoever gives to one of these little ones a cup of cold water only, in the name of a disciple, truly I say to you, he will not go without his reward.
(Bible in Basic English)
Honor will become our culture when our community learns to discern and receive people in their God-given identities.
It is the CULTURE OF HONOR that has the power to bring transformation to all facets of our societies
SOME DANGERS OF DISHONOR
- Dishonor will reduce our encounters with people to human level
2 Cor 5:16-18
Because of this decision we don’t evaluate people by what they have or how they look. We looked at the Messiah that way once and got it all wrong, as you know. We certainly don’t look at him that way anymore. ow we look inside, and what we see is that anyone united with the Messiah gets a fresh start, is created new. The old life is gone; a new life burgeons! Look at it! All this comes from the God who settled the relationship between us and him, and then called us to settle our relationships with each other.
- Dishonor will make people not to be able to draw from the supernatural realm of us all both individually and corporately
2 Cor 5:20-21
We’re Christ’s representatives. God uses us to persuade men and women to drop their differences and enter into God’s work of making things right between them. We’re speaking for Christ himself now: Become friends with God; he’s already a friend with you. 21 How? you say. In Christ. God put the wrong on him who never did anything wrong, so we could be put right with God.
- Dishonor makes people know Jesus well but incorrectly
13 When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, “Who do people say the Son of Man is?” 14 They replied, “Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets.” 15 “But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?” 16 Simon Peter answered, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” 17 Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven.
Honour is Releasing Life by Recognizing the Glory that is in another
Unbelief or Dishonor is denying life by undermining the glory in another
- In a culture of honor, leaders lead with honor by courageously treating people according to the names God gives them and not according to the aliases they receive from people. They treat them as free sons and daughters, not slaves; as righteous, not sinners; as wealthy, not poor.
- In the same vain, in a family of honor, sons and daughters live with honor by courageously treating themselves and their fathers/mothers according to the names God gives them and not according to the aliases they receive from people. They treat them as free fathers and mothers, not slaves; as righteous, not sinners; as wealthy, not poor.